Thursday 16 February 2012

The Runa "Domesticated Pets"

        In the end of Chapter 28 we find out that the Runa are "not unintelligent and some are marvelously talented, but they are essentially domesticated animals. The Jana'ata breed them, as we breed dogs," (Russell 330). This statement was very shocking for me. I didn't even consider the Runa's could be thought out as domesticated animals. I was curious why they did not have many babies but it never even occurred to me that the Jana'ata were breeding them.
        It seems quite disturbing to me, not just the fact that they are "domesticated pets" but because they Jana'ata will use them for sex because it is a form of birth control for the 3rd born's. I assume that sex on that planet may be viewed very differently than on our planet. This may tie in with the fact that evil is based on a person perspective. So maybe for the Runa and Jana'ata this is quite normal and not an evil thing for them at all.

By Katherine Pellin

No comments:

Post a Comment